Search This Blog

Friday, June 16, 2017

I Make Some Damn Good Pies #2: MARBLED CHOCOLATE RUM CREAM PIE Recipe Inside!


So, as the title suggests, this is my second post about the amazing pies I make and have the blue ribbons to write home about. For those of you who did not have a chance to check out the first post here with my award winning Pear, Cranberry, and Ginger Pie this is your chance to replicate some yummy goodness. I am of the opinion that you really do not need an excuse to make a pie (or eat a pie for that matter) and will take a well-made pie over a cake any day.

Below are just a few reasons why I am a #1 pie fan:
  1. Pies are more creative. You can have a traditional flaky crust, graham cracker crust, Girl Scott cookie crust (yes, trust me, it's as amazing as it sounds), or no crust at all. You can put crumble on top, whipped cream, fruit, more whipped cream - and I'm convinced that crisps and cobblers are just pies in disguise, so throw those in as well. Oh, and then there are strudels - yes, this falls into my pie category too.
  2. Pies can fit the seasons better and highlight all the wonderful different foods that are available at different times of the year. If it's autumn time you can sit around with your fluffy sweater and enjoy a pumpkin pie slice or two. If it's summer you can have a bite of a light lemon custard topped with fresh berries from your back yard.
  3. Cheesecake is in fact a pie and you will not convince me otherwise. 
  4. Pies can be savory (and I might be nice and publish an entire post series on the amazing-ness of quiches and pot pies). 
  5. You eat pie on Pi Day.
  6. Pie pairs better with beer - enough said.
One of my favorites types of pies are cream pies (and I put as much whipped cream as I can on top), so, I hope you enjoy the recipe below for my MARBLED CHOCOLATE RUM CREAM PIE:

Ingredients

crust of your choice - we prefer a graham cracker crust for this one
** Note: If you want to use a traditional pie crust you have to bake it first, this is a NO BAKE pie

1 envelope unflavored gelatin
3/4 C sugar, divided
1/8 tsp salt
2 eggs, separated
1 C milk
1/4 dark rum
12 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 C whipping cream
2 tsp vanilla

Directions

Step #1
  1. Using a double boiler mix the gelatin, 1/4 C sugar, and the salt
  2. Then beat in the egg yolks and milk
  3. Cook, stirring constantly with a whisk until the mixture is slightly thickened
  4. Then remove from heat
  5. Add the chocolate chips and stir until thoroughly blended and all the chocolate is melted
  6. Chill chocolate mixture until thickened and then add the rum and set aside
Step #2
  1. In a bowl beat the egg whites until foamy, gradually adding 1/4 C sugar and then beat until stiff
  2. Fold the chocolate mixture from Step #1 and the egg whites
Step #3
  1.  In another bowl whip the cream with the remaining 1/4 C sugar and vanilla until stiff
Step #4
  1. Prepare your crust
  2. Alternate the chocolate mixture and the whipped cream in the pie shell
  3. Swirl with a spoon for a marbled effect and then chill until firm
DELICIOUSNESS WARNING: You will have a TON of left over filling and this can easily make two pies. HOWEVER, what I like to do is pour the mixtures into serving dishes and just have chocolate rum mousse with whipped cream. Chill it just like the pie so it can set.


Feel free to drool...

 This recipe brought home a blue ribbon at 
in May of 2017.

If you have a great cream pie recipe please send it my way!

For more information about my pies or culinary delights in general, check out the Instagram feed on my family's B&B in Virginia, the Uphill House Bed and Breakfast, where not only am I a co-owner but I am the chef-in-residence with my mom, Suzanne.

Happy baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you found our post helpful, let us know. If you have any questions, let us know. If you have any suggestions, let us know. Thanks for reading!