It's already been established that I love pie, so here are some fun pie facts before my next recipe:
- Pies have (apparently) been around since the time of the ancient Egyptians.
- Traditionally, pies were made predominately of meat.
- Queen Elizabeth I (apparently) loved cherry pies.
- Pumpkin pie made it's appearance at the second Thanksgiving.
- In the 1800s fruit pies were actually a popular BREAKFAST.
1 C canned pumpkin
1 C apple butter
1/2 C sugar
1 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/8 tsp nutmeg
3/4 half and half
pie crust of your choice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Prepare your pie crust in a pie pan and set aside
- In a large bowl whisk eggs, pumpkin, apple butter, sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg and then stir in half and half until smooth
- Pour mixture into pie shell and place in oven
- After 10 minutes reduce temperature to 350 degrees
- Bake until the center of the pie is set, about 35 to 40 minutes
- Serve hot or cold with whipped cream!
PS - If you are in Virginia in May, you should definitely check out the Gordonsville Fried Chicken Festival and try my award-winning pies!